Sunday, February 18, 2007

Slighted Dwight...

Some All-Star Week-end observations...

Dwight Howard got the shaft for what I thought was a pretty ridiculous dunk, slapping a sticker on top of the backboard. He had originally wanted to dunk on a 12 foot hoop, but the league said no, so he did the next best thing he could think of--a dunk that confused me at first (and probably why the judges did what they did), but one which I came to marvel at for it's creativity and sheer physical presence. 12 feet, 4 inches high, with a sticker of himself (and a message preaching the power of Christ, but it was small enough to not be a bother) smuggled into the competition in his hand. Someone on espn.com said that it would be the sticker dunk that would be the most memorable from the competition, and I have to agree. So Howard may have gotten nothing for now, but he dunked for posterity--and realizing what his faith is, that's pretty fitting to me.

So Kapono practically begs to be allowed into the three point competition, which considering that he is the current 3-pt % leader in the NBA, is more than understandable. I admit, when he came out, I was like...Kapo-who? He's a solid player, obviously shoots 3's, and well, he went on to win the competition easily, two baskets from setting a new record. Great job kid.

Goes well with Wade repeating as the skills champion winner. I'm slightly bothered by the whole skills challenge, it's All-Star Weekend, can't we ratchet it up a bit? I want the hoops, for the passing bit, to be on fire. I want sword-wielding midgets trying to knock the ball out for the slalom-inspired segment. I want a movable backboard, just because it would be ridiculous. Hey, I know it's a skill competition, but it is pretty boring. They need to do something...

Like maybe give the Eastern Conference a 20-point handicap. Cause, um, well I didn't really watch the game. I did catch Gilbert Arenas launching himself off the trampoline to do a sweet dunk, that was pretty cool. Kobe was MVP, from what I saw, he had a good game but...well, I mean, we all knew the West would win, after two straight losses to the East, but wow.

Oh well. As long as they give me flaming hoops and armed midgets next year, I could care less. Well, I don't really care too much to begin with, it is just an All-Star game, a good time to go and watch the stars mess around, do some cool plays, play sloppy, have fun...but still...

I would watch that skills competition. I would DVR it. And watch it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home