Monday, April 09, 2007

MLB Week 1 Review

Have to start with the strong NL East. Atlanta, Florida, and the Mets got off to a hot start. I still think the Mets have this division, but fans have to be worried about the Braves. 14 in a row was 14 in a row, and this is not a team to stay down. Can Bob Wickman continue to give them the closer stability? Probably. Is Andrew Jones just a flat out ridiculous fielder who can change a game? Without doubt. Is their core group getting a little old? Not really, and they got plenty of young talent ready to play. Mets still take this division, but Atlanta--behind Smoltz and a looking a bit better so far Tim Hudson--fights it out for second and the wildcard. And don't sleep on the Phillies. Their gentle beasts in the form of Utley and Howard are awakening. They will start playing soon, though as a Mets fan, today's late-inning rally was so sweet it put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

After that, where is the crazy 9-0 team? All teams have losses already. That's no fun. And the Royals have two wins already? Two wins? Come on. I feel like the baseball foundation is shaking beneath my feet, at least every team has a win already too. What's going on? Well, here's some quick hits from around the league:

Arizona 6-2? And who can't wait to see Randy back there again? I hope he rips it...how old is he now? 40-scary? Who will win either Central division? I wish I knew how Cleveland would be playing at this point, but they had to contend with a foot of snow...yes, a foot of snow. That baseball foundation I was talking about? It's shaking, and it's frozen. I heard the East Coast might get some snow in a couple days as well...

What's going on?

Tampa Bay is at the bottom of the AL East, no surprise, but why do I always root for them? They have some really good players too. Kazmir, as a Mets fan, every time I see you on the mound I punch myself in the gut so I never forget. You are our generation's Nolan Ryan. And they have Iwamua too. I went to pick him up on my fantasy team and my buddy had him two days ago. So annoying. It's early, what are you changing your roster around for? Stay put, and let me get some of these monsters. Is Iwamura a monster? Very possibly yes.

Cubs are supposed to be beasts, right? 3-4, so what's going on? Oh yeah, perfect illustration on the role of media. Here's the thing, the mouths in the media are incapable of shutting up. They have to talk. So they talk about how the Cubs are doomed and stupid for paying all this money for top-end talent that obviously isn't working...seven games into the season. Oh, they say that disclaimer too--we know it's seven games into the season...but--and well, it's seven games into the season! What's going on?

Angels. K-Rod. Is it his fault that he got a bit too excited? Should we suspend players from their There's Something About Mary pre-game ritual? I think not. Cards got swept by the Mets, what's going on? What should have happened last year...that's what. But enough of that.

As always, another exciting beginning to the season, it needs some time to really form into something, but we certainly have interesting topics. Bonds. Aaron. Griffey JR. Arod. Randy Johnson. Clemens. Pedro. Schmidt. The Royals. On and on, we got stuff to talk about, cause here's the thing--bloggers are incapable of not typing. You can see them without their keyboards, pantomiming the movement of striking keys. And what's going on?

Baseball is going on. Let the snow come, through wind, through...well, wind, they'll play on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home